Since school ended recently (and I am done for good! Until college...), I have been working on a few projects. The first one, which I have brought up before on my blog in my Fabric Haul post, is a late 1940s styled dress with a matching blazer. This one has been a bit weird to work on since its been so warm lately and I am making the set out of a wool suiting. However, I love the fabric that I chose out, and can't wait to keep working on it. This one I am actually going to make a video of me sewing it, so you can see some of my process when it comes to sewing more 'modern' clothes.
Another thing that I have been working on is planning for next years MakeFashion show. The call for proposals is coming up quickly, so I have been drawing out my ideas as well as coming up with a budget. I posted a short video of me working on one of the sketches on my Instagram. I have been using these Artist's Loft Dual Tip Markers, which are blend-able markers slightly similar to Copic Markers, and I am loving them!
I have also finished my regency stays, which I had mentioned a while ago, and I will do a post on them once I have some good photos.
I have been intrigued with quilting for a while now, but so far I have never tried it. I decided to learn some new skills by making a small quilt as a present for a teacher.
The fabric that I used is from a bundle that I received as a gift a while ago. I thought that the colours in the cotton fabrics went so well with the cotton sateen that I decided to use it as a backing for the quilt.
The quilting that I did was very simple, since I have only ever tried it on some test pieces, but I like how it turned out. The entire front piece is hand sewn together, and the quilting was done by machine. It was finished off by hand as well.
Since this project turned out well, I have some ideas brewing for a pair of 18th century quilted jumps. Jumps are basically a pair of stays without the boning, and they were often worn by working class women.
There are a few things that I would like to change on this dress, such as adjusting the fit (it is slightly too big, something I can fix pretty easily), as well as adding another band about 2/3 of the way down the sleeve to make the sleeve have a double puff. Other than that, I am pretty pleased with how it turned out!
The front of the dress features a box-pleated panel, and I added a red ribbon along with a brooch.