I made my way over to the Bhatia Cloth House for the first time last weekend, and I am so thrilled with the things that I found!
The Cloth House was really beautiful and they had tons of gorgeous fabrics, as well as sarees and other fancy dress. The costumer service was really lovely, and I can't wait to make my way over there again to pick up more fabric!
I do have plans for all of the pieces that I picked up, but the only plan I will tell you about is for the mens suiting.
Not only did I pick up fabric from the Cloth House, but I also ordered a few patterns not long ago. The 1940s pants are what I will be making with the mens suiting wool, and there is so much of it that I am hoping to also get a pencil skirt or blazer out of it!
Both of the patterns are from Simplicity. I have ordered a few patterns from Simplicity now, and they have always been great. The patterns have come quite quickly every time as well, which is very nice when ordering things online!
And there is more!
My boyfriend just got back from Vietnam, and he brought me back such beautiful things! He had an Ao Dai (traditional clothing from Vietnam) made for me, and I was given the extra fabric left over from that along with another chunk of fabric!
Stay tuned for lots of exciting new projects!
It only took me more than half a year, but I finally have everything to show you some of the behind scenes when it came to making the Dream Dress for MakeFashion!
The reason that this post took so long to become reality is that I actually lost the photos of the dress in progress. Thankfully, I found them so I can give you a bit of an idea of what the inside of the dress looks like, since it actually has more detail on the inside than it does on the outside!
The whole process of making this dress for MakeFashion was such a great experience, and I learned so many new techniques! I am very excited to hopefully be able to work with them again.
If you would like to see pictures of the final project, here is a link.
I filmed the whole process of making my 1940s styled dress from yesterdays post. If you have any questions about the process, or if you want to see more videos like this, let me know! To see more photos of the finished dress, click here.
The music is from bensound.com
I have finally finished my wool suiting 1940s dress that I have been planning on for a while, and I am really pleased with how it turned out!
The dress pattern that I used is the Vintage Vogue pattern V9082. The whole pattern fit very well, and the only adjustments that I had to make were to the darts. That was an easy fix to ensure that it fit me perfectly, and the rest of the dress went together quickly.
The pattern called for a hidden zipper, but I prefer to set the zipper in normally because that makes it stronger, and I have had the issue of hidden zippers getting caught.
One detail that I am very proud of is the matched front panels. This happened completely by accident, and I love how it looks.
The sleeves have two pleats in them to create a 1940s silhouette without any padding.
There are so many photos that I like from the photo shoot, so I will put a break and you can see more if you would like.
Also, stay tuned for a video about how I made this dress over the next few days!
Last year in Art Class I created a paper dress, and I made another one this year. They were quite fun to do, but at the time I was a bit disappointed with how they came out, specifically the first one. After putting it away for a year, I am less critical about how I look at it.
The second one that I made this year still needs some repairs before I can take pictures of it, but I will post photos of that as well.
The dress was made out of newspaper, anaglypta (a 3D wallpaper), and scrapbook paper. The shape was inspired by 1880s bustle dresses, and it was made in about a week of classes. There were a few things that I also had wanted to do to the dress, but I had run out of time in class to do them, so the dress stayed like this.
After not seeing it for a while, I felt better about how it turned out, but I still wanted to try out a few new techniques, so I made another dress this year. Once I have fixed it up and taken photos, I will post about that one too.
I finally took a few photos of my finished Regency stays! They are three layers of cotton with very minimal cording at the front. The entire garment is hand sewn.
This was a bit of a stash-busting project, so everything except for the bias binding was from my stash. The stays were also drafted by me, based off of a few Pinterest photos of original stays from the 1810s.
The middle and lining fabrics are a brown cotton that is from worn out sheets, so it is tough fabric. The front white fabric is a white cotton that I have had for ages. I decided to bind the stays in turquoise for fun, since binding is such a long and sometimes tedious job.
Next up in my Regency wardrobe I need to make a petticoat. This will be another stash-busting project, since I have the perfect materials for it already. I would also like to make a summer spencer (basically a short coat) out of a light blue linen that I have, and I also would like to make a few changes to my dress that I posted about here.