In September I posted about a linen skirt that I made with a Simplicity archive pattern from 1933. That was actually the second time that I made something with that pattern. The first time I made a winter/autumn version out of this grey wool suiting fabric.
This was actually the first clothing item that I have ever sewn for myself. It is fully lined. I love the way that the fabric moves, and the colour works with everything in my closet. My only complaint is that it is a bit too big. I chose a bigger size to be cautious, but the second time that I made this pattern I went a size down, and it fits perfectly.
I have always been very fond of 1930s fashion. I think the cut is very elegant, and I love that the skirts were normally quite long compared to the 1940s.
I am very impressed with this pattern, as it is easy to follow, and the pieces are very simple. I also love the outcome. It looks vintage styled, but it doesn't look like a costume. Simplicity has a lovely collection of archive patterns that you can look at here, plus they are making more. The next time that I use this pattern, I would love to make the other skirt that comes with this one. It has more detail, but now that I have had more practice, I would like to try it out.
Linen is a fabric that I have always been interested in using. It has been around for hundreds of years and been used for undergarments, skirts, kirtles, cotehardies, and many other types of clothing since the middle ages, and it has stayed popular all the way until now. Linen does not take dye as easily, so you cannot get quite as bright colours as you would with cotton, and it wrinkles easily, but it has many redeeming qualities. For example, it is very easy to work with when it comes to sewing, plus it breathes very nicely, so it is perfect to wear on hot days. Linen also soaks up water very well which makes it a great choice for kitchen towels and such.
I was thrilled to find this light blue linen on sale at Fabricland, so I had to get it for a 1930's styled skirt pattern that I have had for a while. I used a pattern from the McCalls Archive Collection. This pattern is very simple and easy to follow, and I was able to whip up this skirt in a few days.
This is actually the second skirt that I have made from that pattern. The first I made will a light wool and lined it. The second time went much quicker, and the linen was so lovely to work with, it made the whole process go by much faster.
Even though I will not be using linen for my Special Project, I am very glad that I got to try out the linen, and I can see myself making much more out of it in the future.